Monday, July 12, 2010

Yes, Another Food Blog!

Yeah, I know...the net doesn't need another food blog...but um...I want to make one...soooooo. Yeah, shut up.

Okay. This blog will chronicle my journey through learning how to bake/cook/create all manner of culinary confections. The best AND worst of my experiences will be included...sooo...be prepared to laugh at me...a lot.

Since today is the first of many posts, I thought I'd start with something simple.

First off, I love anything Mexican. I grew up in Southern Cali and Mexican cuisine was something we had the luxury of taking for granted. So when I moved to North Carolina (bad move on my part) I was horrified to find that the Latin food out here was vastly different. I know, completely ethnocentric of me to think that all Latin food would be the same. I was strolling through the aisle at my local ghetto Food Lion (yes, I live in the ghetto) and I nearly crapped my pants when I found the guerrero brown and serve tortillas. Some of you may not know what this is...you probably picked them up one day while shopping and thought they looked raw and gummy. They are...UNTIL YOU COOK THEM!

so I took them home and thought...how can I make a marinade for my chicken that would taste at least REMOTELY like a fajita flavor??

This is what I came up with:

  • 1/3 cup of lemon or lime juice
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 cloves of minced garlic (more if you are into tasting if forever)
  • 1/2 tsp paprika (mostly just for color)
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
You combine all that in a zip lock baggie with your cubed chicken and put it in the fridge for at least one hour.
The first thing you'll notice is that the acidity in the marinade will actually start to cook your chicken in the bag. I don't know about you, but I think that's cool. The science geek in me I guess.

Brown your meat in a large skillet, set in a bowl and cover. Next brown however many tortillas you want to make quesadillas with. Set those aside on a plate.

This is the best part. You had better have got some Queso Fresco in your fridge, cuz you're gonna need it now. crumble at least 1/2 cup of that onto one browned tortilla then top with however much of the chicken you desire. Then top that with finely shredded colby jack cheese. Cover all of that with another browned tortilla. Put all of this back into the the skillet on the stove and cover to help melt the cheese. You may want to flip midway during cooking if you feel one side of your quesadillas is getting too brown.

TO DIE FOR!!! I creamed over these last night while playing my XBOX.

Oh, and if you want the cheese recipe breakdown, here goes:

1/2 cup Queso Fresco (or as I like to call it "Orgasm Cheese")
1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment