Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Marshmallow Fondant - SOOO Easy

Like I've said in all my previous posts...I'm not the greatest cook/baker (I try). My worst trait is being impatient. I like these complex items...but hate putting the time into them to make them great. So I look for easy ways to make what I like. I found this fondant recipe while looking up ideas to make my mom' s Mother's Day cake. I'd never used ANY sort of fondant and I'd heard horror stories...but I thought, what the hell...let's try it!

What You Need:

  • 8 ounces miniature marshmallows (4 cups not packed, or half of a 16-ounce bag) I used the color (fruity flavored marshmallows because when blended they turn into THE best light skin tone AND it tastes good)
  • 1 pound powdered sugar (4 cups), plus extra for dusting
  • 2 tbsp water
  • Food coloring or flavors (Mint, Vanilla, whatever you like-none if you like too!)
In a large bowl put the marshmallows and the water. Put in your microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir. If not melted, put back in for 30 seconds more. Repeat this until completely smooth.

At this point add your coloring or flavoring to the melted marshmallows. If you are coloring smaller portions of the fondant different colors then hold off on the colors until all done and just color each separate bundle of finished fondant by kneading the color in.

This is where I cheat. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer. My mother-in-law purchased one for me as a gift (Thank you Barbara!!!!). I used the hell outta that machine too. I put the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl first, then I pour in the melted marshmallows. Now, if you are lucky like me, just turn on the Kitchen Aid to the number 2 setting and sit back and watch magic happen.

If you don't have a mixer, get ready to get messy. Mix in the bowl until you've got a lumpy mess. turn out onto your counter and dust your hands with powdered sugar and start kneading it like bread until all the sugar is Incorporated. It's messy and tiring, but worth it.

Keep this stuff wrapped up tight in cling wrap or it'll dry out on you. When you are ready to use it just roll it out with your rolling pin and go to town!

I wanted to make a butt on a diaper for my mother. Yes, I know...I'm a special child. I decided to use the flesh toned fondant for the butt and use the traditional fondant you buy in stores for the diaper. MAN was the marshmallow fondant easier!!! It is so much more pliable and taste a hundred times better than traditional fondant!

Wonder what the cake turned out like? Be kind, it was my first time doing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment